I should have known this would be an ominous day. With lots of planning and preparation ahead of me, I was working on the computer all day…..changing flights, booking hotels and cars, researching and compiling the paperwork we’ll need to secure our new visas.
All was going well until McAfee sent a little pop-up asking if I would allow access to “dmw.exe”. My options were to ‘Always Allow’, ‘Allow Once’ or ‘Never Allow’. Hmmm, if I allow it, I could be inviting a virus…..if I refuse it, I might be missing an important update. Where’s the safe but sane choice of ‘Don’t Allow This Time So I Can Go Research This Thing and Decide What To Do About It’?
My cursory findings indicated that this is a requirement for Vista and Windows 7. I’m on XP, so I clicked “Never Allow” and returned to my work…..or tried to. The internet wasn’t working. Sheesh, maybe I should have allowed the darn access. I tried to do a System Restore but it was taking way too long and the computer was making some very unhappy noises, so I cancelled it. After that, I had limited access to the internet….some sites were missing functionality, some were intermittently available and some were blank. And System Restore had vanished….leaving just a white box where it had once been. It had given its all, but it was no match against whatever it was battling.
Since I couldn’t access their on-line assistance, I called McAfee…..after all, this started with their pop-up. After going through a list of questions, it was determined that my Internet Explorer was corrupted. I was told to call Hewlett-Packard to have it restored.
Oh, swell…..we weren’t happy with the “support” we got from HP when we were in California…..what could we expect here? I decided to tackle the problem myself. I turned on our netbook and scoured the internet for answers. Bravely, I deleted Service Pack 2 and removed Internet Explorer…..which disappeared instead of reverting to an earlier version. Sh*t.
Craig remembered we had brought our back-up drive with us. Smugly, I plugged it in and started it up. A few hours later, the reload was complete……but Internet Explorer and System Restore were still AWOL. Drat! Back to the netbook and the internet.
Ah ha! Save and reload IE on a USB stick! And we have one with us! So, that was the next step. The upload didn’t take long and the results looked promising….I finally had version and ID information in the “About Internet Explorer” box.
Close, but no cigar……IE still wasn’t working correctly. What to do…..what to do?? Wait! Firefox is installed …… that’ll tide me over until I can get this IE business figured out.
I closed IE and opened Firefox. All was well until I tried to do a search. Firefox sadly reported that there was a problem…..something to do with proxy servers. AAAIIIEEE! Back to the netbook and the internet….where I found a free utility that promised to fix IE problems similar to the one I was having. Hmmmm…..I know better than to download free software…..but everything I read about this utility seemed to say it was safe. It was now 3 a.m. and I had been battling this adversary for nine hours…..perhaps my guard was down and I wasn’t as vigilant as I should have been. I clicked on “IEfix” and hoped for the best.
It installed quickly….I rebooted and crossed my fingers. The screen went dark…..then sprung back to life…..I opened System Restore…..it was back! I opened Internet Explorer…..it was working! I opened Firefox…..Uh oh….it still had a proxy server problem. I opened McAfee….dang, still AWOL.
Back to the netbook…..more searching…..need to turn off proxy servers….. ok, done….. Firefox works again! Now need to remove and reinstall McAfee……ok, done…..McAfee’s back! I did it! My techie friends would be proud of me!
Sleep came swiftly…..with sweet dreams of being seranaded by Prof Henry Higgins…..
“You did it! You did it! You said that you would do it,
And indeed you did. I thought that you would rue it;
I doubted you’d do it. But now I must admit it
That succeed you did.”