Friday, December 3rd

It was a slow day at the cottage…..not much to talk about so instead, I’ll give you a little more information on something previously discussed……French traversins.  If you’ve forgotten, a traversin is a cylinder-shaped pillow, the width of the bed, that’s  used in place of pillows in some French hotels, chambre d’hôtes (B&B’s) and gîtes (self-catering vacation rentals).

My all too brief description didn’t meet with my friend Ken’s approval.  Having suffered through the use of these in the past, he sent the following…..

“Your description didn’t touch on the fact that the bolster is wrapped up in the sheet, and virtually immovable. Plus (for slightly tall me) it takes up 8-inches of mattress, which I can ill afford.” 

Ok, ok…..I think his statement gives you a much better idea of their practicality and functionality (or lack thereof).  He asked a Parisian friend of his to elaborate on their usage.  She provided the following definition…..

“I can’t tell you a lot about traversins as we don’t use them and also for me, it is old-fashioned and also a countryside-farmer type of thing.  Anyway, for those who use them, it is used like a pillow except it doesn’t have the shape of a pillow.”

Guess we’re just country folk at heart….. and in travels .

Bonne nuit.


About Languedoc Lady

I'm a newly retired woman from California getting ready to spend a year (or more) with my husband living the good life in Languedoc in the southwest of France.
This entry was posted in Canal du Midi, France, Retirement, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s